Sunday, September 11, 2011

Captain Regulation on Chickens

Ann Marie Buerkle: Are you here again?

Captain Regulation: You called me, remember?

AMB: OK, I guess. Look, now I have to explain why I'm against regulations that would help small farmers and ranchers. I don't suppose you would consider helping me out here, would you?

CR: Ah, you must mean GIPSA and the chicken farmers. OK, here's the situation: a couple years ago, the Agriculture Department proposed new rules that would level the playing field between the giant corporate meat packers and the small farmers who supply them. 

Now, your House of Representatives refuses to support these regulations, and you have cut off funding to implement the new regulations that would definitely help small farmers.

AMB: What's wrong with that? Regulations take away the freedom of large corporations to dominate the market place, you know.

CR: And here I thought you liked small farmers.

AMB: Sure I do. Small farms are nice, but well, you know, they don't really donate much to my campaign. I want to be able to say I like small farmers, but I sure don't want to give them an unfair advantage, that interferes with the magic of the free market.

CR: Well, then, if you want small farmers to do better economically, you should support the new GISPA rules.

AMB:  I can't do that. My friends will be mad.

CR: OK then, I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help.

AMB: This meeting is over. Go away!

Thanks to The Daily Yonder for the heads up on this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment