Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Against Abortions? Then Don't Have One...and Other Slogans

Slogans are easy. They are way too easy, and ineffective, when it comes to convincing other people about the wrongness of their beliefs and the rightness of one's own beliefs.

I would like to approach the question of abortion from a very different angle.

What really scares me about the "no-abortions-under-any-or-all-circumstances" way of thinking, and then making and enforcing laws to that effect, is that control of child bearing in this way is no different from requiring abortions under any or all circumstances. Governments that want to have it one way just might, in another time, want to have it the other way. Governments and legislative bodies tend to be like that if they are left unchecked.

Black-and-white thinking, and the dictatorial powers that satisfy it, are not compatible with Democracy. Period.

And while I have the floor, I would like to remind anyone who doesn't "believe in" abortion and will never have one: that is YOUR personal choice. I personally support and embrace your choice regardless of your belief. But your beliefs and values do not, in a free society, extend to telling me what I may or may not do with MY body. That is MY personal choice. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment